How to Get Rid of Skunk Smell Inside House?
At one point or another, many of us will have a skunk spray somewhere in our yard. Or on our dog or cat. If you panicked and let the pet in the house – or if the skunk smell worked its way inside the house through a vent or open window – stay calm. Our no-fail method will get rid of that awful skunk smell from all sorts of surfaces inside your home in no time. Purodora Lab has been helping people get rid of skunk smells quickly and safely for over 35 years.
How to get rid of skunk smell inside the house
The smell of skunk spray is especially potent and can easily seep into surfaces, particularly fabrics and upholstered furniture. To make matters worse, the smell can stick around for a painfully long time.
How to get skunk smell out of clothes
If your pet was sprayed by a skunk and managed to get into the house, chances are your clothes will be among the first items to absorb the smell. Unfortunately, a simple machine wash with conventional laundry soap won’t always do the trick. We recommending using Purodora Lab Urine Odor Neutralizer instead. It eliminates skunk smell on fabrics and clothing completely – the first time around.
To get rid of skunk smell on clothes:
- Spray Purodora Lab Urine Odor Neutralizer on clothes.
- Leave on for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Then clean clothes in washing machine with your usual laundry detergent.
No more skunk smell!
How to get skunk smell out of curtains, carpets, beds & sofas
When a pet gets sprayed by a skunk and then goes in the house, it will often shake or rub itself on curtains or carpets – or climb up on your sofa or bed. Whatever it touches will end up smelling of skunk. Just like with clothing, we recommend spraying the affected area with Purodora Lab Urine Odor Neutralizer. Allow the product to work and then machine wash the surface, if possible. Purodora Lab Urine Odor Neutralizer is alcohol-based and dries quickly; no rinsing required. Unlike water-based products, it won’t stain water-safe fabrics or cause them to mildew.
To get rid of skunk smell from curtains, rugs and upholstered furniture:
- Spray Purodora Lab Urine Odor Neutralizer on curtains, carpets or fabric sofas.
- To treat leather surfaces and sofas, do a compatibility test on a non-visible section of the leather first. If compatible, spray Purodora Lab Urine Odor Neutralizer on a clean cloth and rub the affected area. Wipe away any excess product with a damp cloth.
- Allow surface to air dry; no need to rinse.
*For synthetic leather sofas and chairs always test Purodora Lab Urine Odor Neutralizer on an inconspicuous area first to ensure it does not discolor the surface.
No more skunk smell!
Alcohol-based products like Urine Odor Neutralizer can leave a dark ring on some colored fabrics where the dye has not set properly. No need to worry! Simply rub the fabric with a damp cloth and the stain will disappear immediately.
How to get skunk smell out of floors
If your pet rubbed itself on the floor and the yellowish skunk spray seeped between the wood floor boards or into the ceramic grout, so will the smell. Purodora Lab Urine Odor Neutralizer can also be used on these surfaces with great results. Because it’s made of alcohol and not water, Purodora Lab Urine Odor Neutralizer eliminates odors on contact and then quickly evaporates to leave surfaces dry and odor-free. This quick evaporation means it won’t cause wood to swell.
To eliminate skunk odor on floors:
- Transfer Purodora Lab Urine Odor Neutralizer to a squirt bottle and squirt directly at the space between each board.
- If the urine is also along the bottom of the wall, squirt the product behind the baseboard trim.
- Wipe off any excess product with a damp cloth. Be sure to do this step because the excess product could interact with the floor varnish.
- Allow the surface to air dry. No need to rinse. Purodora Lab Urine Odor Neutralizer will quickly evaporate without causing the wood to swell.
No more skunk smell!
How to get rid of skunk smell from ambient air in home
For best results we recommend that you follow up by cleaning your floors with Purodora Lab Hard, Non-Porous Surfaces Disinfectant & Animal Odor Neutralizer. It cleans and neutralizes all sorts of animal odors (including skunk smell) on surfaces and even in the surrounding air. Purodora Lab Hard, Non-Porous Surfaces Disinfectant & Animal Odor Neutralizer is safe to use on wood, ceramic, linoleum, concrete floors and more.
To remove skunk odor from the ambient air in your house:
- Mix 1/2 cup (120ml) of Purodora Lab Hard, Non-Porous Surfaces Disinfectant & Animal Odor Neutralizer with 1 gallon (4L) of water.
- Clean your floors.
We recommend too to get rid of skunk smell from ambient air with floor fan or ventilation system.
If you don't have a ventilation system:
- Spray a clean cloth with 4 Tbsp (60) ml of Purodora Lab Hard, Non-Porous Surfaces Disinfectant & Animal Odor Neutralizer mixed with 4 cups (1 L) of water.
- Hang cloth over a fan and run in the affected room for one hour.
- Repeat the process in each room smelling of skunk.
*Depending on the intensity of the skunk smell, you may have to repeat this treatment one or more times to allow the product to spread enough throughout the air to neutralize the skunk smell completely.
If your home has a ventilation system or air exchanger:
- Spray system filters with 3 Tbsp (60) ml of Purodora Lab Hard, Non-Porous Surfaces Disinfectant & Animal Odor Neutralizer mixed with 4 cups (1 L) of water.
- Run unit so that product disburses throughout the house.
Goodbye skunk smell!
Getting rid of skunk smell in your home really is that quick and easy.
Like products that are fast, effective and easy to use?
Get Purodora Lab products online or at one of our retailers near you! We recommend calling the store ahead of time to make sure it has the product you’re looking for in stock.
To find the retailer nearest you, click here.
Here’s to your home smelling good again!
We work hard to make Purodora Lab odor neutralizers the best on the market. Got a question about our products or innovative odor-neutralizing molecular technology? Ask away! You can reach us at the contact info at the bottom of the page.