How to Get Rid of Damp Smell in Home (Carpet)?
Many homes and cottages have a damp or musty smell, especially in the basement. The same goes for boats and recreational vehicles. The source of the smell can be due to all sorts of reasons. Sometimes they’re simply closed up for long stretches at a time. Sometimes it’s due to a more troubling issue – clay soil, running water, standing water under the floor, drains installed in the wrong location, uneven ground, previous water infiltration. It’s a long list.
The good news is, Purodora Lab has proven odor neutralizers to eliminate musty smells from virtually any surface. Here’s what you do…
Before treating the musty smell in your home, cottage, boat or RV, it’s important to first pinpoint the source of the problem. Perhaps it’s simply been closed up for too long. Or perhaps you have a more serious water infiltration problem on your hands. If this is the case, you’ll need to remedy the problem. Otherwise, the damp smell will just keep returning.
You’ll also need to disinfect the affected surfaces if you encounter any water damage. This will prevent the spread of bacteria and mold growth.
Once you’ve identified and corrected the source of the problem and disinfected the affected surfaces, you can finally tackle the musty smell and eliminate it for good. Be sure to treat all absorbent surfaces that smell musty. This includes untreated wood, metal, plywood, walls, floors, ceilings, cabinets, fabrics, carpets, furniture and even the air. The key is to use the right products and techniques for each type of surface.
Get rid of musty smell in ambient air
If your home has an air exchanger, air conditioner or ventilation system:
- Remove the filters from the system.
- Spray the filters with ½ cup (125 ml) of Purodora Lab Damp Cleaner & Odor Neutralizer diluted in 1 gallon (4 L) of water.
- Immediately reinstall the filters while still wet and run the system one hour to disperse the product in the ducts and throughout the house.
If your home does not have an air exchanger, air conditioner or ventilation system:
- Spray a clean cloth with ½ cup (125 ml) of Purodora Lab Damp Cleaner & Odor Neutralizer diluted in 1 gallon (4 L) of water.
- Hang cloth in front of a table or floor fan and run the fan in the musty-smelling room for one hour.
- Repeat the above steps for each room with a musty smell.
Get rid of musty smell in carpets
If your carpets smell musty, especially in hot humid weather:
- Clean carpet with a carpet machine and ½ cup (125 ml) of Purodora Lab Damp Cleaner & Odor Neutralizer diluted in 1 gallon (4 L) of water.
- Dry with a fan.
If you don't have a carpet cleaner, spray the dilution on the carpets and allow to work for 30 minutes. Then, spray the carpets with water and dry.
Why use Purodora Lab Damp Cleaner & Odor Neutralizer
- Quickly eliminates musty smells from concrete, wood, carpets, walls and ceilings
- Neutralizes odors, doesn’t mask them
- Leaves a fresh clean scent for several hours
- Won’t damage or dull the finish on wood floors
- Safe for people, pets and planet
No more musty or damp smell!
Getting rid of stubborn musty smells in your home, cottage or RV really is that quick and easy – even after major water damage.
Like products that are fast, effective and easy to use?
Here’s to your home and cottage smelling good again!
We work hard to make Purodora Lab odor neutralizers the best on the market. Got a question about our products or innovative odor-neutralizing molecular technology? Ask away! You can reach us at the contact info at the bottom of the page.