So a skunk must have sprayed somewhere outside your house because now your entire home reeks of skunk. You’ve tried everything you can think of: opening all the windows, cleaning the floors & walls… but nothing seems to work. No need to lose hope (or move house); there are products out there that really do work – quickly and safely.
Proven products for removing skunk smell
The smell of skunk spray can permeate almost anything – from your lawn to the exterior siding on your home and everything inside it. This includes clothes and bedding, upholstered furniture and mattresses, curtains and carpets… and more.
The good news is that you can quickly and completely eliminate skunk smell inside and outside your home with just two safe and easy-to-use products.
We know you’re desperate to get that skunk smell out of your home.
Please think twice before trying a home remedy for eliminating skunk smell in your home. Not all of those so-called miracle solutions on the internet will be safe for your family or for the surfaces in and around your home. The last thing you need right now is to make the problem worse.
Two proven skunk smell removers are Purodora Urine Odor Neutralizer and Purodora Disinfectant and Animal Odor Neutralizer. These odor neutralizers work deeply and quickly to quickly remove skunk smell from virtually anything. Best of all, they are safe for use both inside and outside your home. They won’t stain fabrics or hard surfaces – or damage your lawn, plants and other shrubbery.
Step 1: Get rid of the skunk smell outside the house first
Like it or not, you need to get rid of the skunk smell outside your house first. Otherwise, the smell will just creep its way back inside – no matter how much cleaning you do.
- Dilute 1 cup of Purodora Animal Odor Neutralizer & Disinfectant in 1 gallon (4 L) of water. This odor neutralizer is safe for lawns and all plants, such as shrubs and flower beds.
- Use a spray bottle to spray the affected area and allow to air dry. No need to rinse.
A single dose usually does the trick, but you can repeat the treatment if the skunk smell is very strong.
Did you know?
Purodora has effective odor removers for all types of tough odor problems: animals, smoke, farm, food, perspiration and more. Tackle your other tough odor problems!
Step 2: Remove the skunk smell inside the house
Now that you’ve eliminated the smell of skunk outside, you can take the battle indoors. Start by cleaning the walls, floors and ceilings:
- Mix 2 Tbsp of Purodora Disinfectant and Animal Odor Neutralizer with 4 cups of water.
- Wet a clean cloth with the solution and thoroughly wipe down all hard surfaces.
- Allow to air dry. No rinsing required.
Purodora Disinfectant and Animal Odor Neutralizer also doubles as a fantastic surface cleaner. So while you’re neutralizing the smell of skunk, you’re also leaving your walls, floors and ceilings gleaming.
How to remove skunk smell from a house with a ventilation, air exchanger or air conditioning system
Skunk odor penetrates all absorbent materials – including the filters in ventilation, air exchanger and air conditioning systems.
- Clean the filter using 2 Tbsp of Purodora Disinfectant and Animal Odor Neutralizer mixed with 4 cups of water. Do not rinse.
- Reinstall the filter while still wet with the product and run the system continuously for 24 to 48 hours. This will distributed Purodora Disinfectant and Animal Odor Neutralizer throughout the ducts and throughout the home to eliminate the smell of skunk from the ambient air.
The skunk smell should completely disappear within 24 to 48 hours. If not, simply repeat the treatment. The goal is to eliminate 100% of the skunk smell.
How to remove skunk smell from a house that does not have a ventilation, air exchanger or air conditioning system
Even if your house doesn’t have a ventilation, air exchanger or air conditioning system, you can still use Purodora Disinfectant and Animal Odor Neutralizer to get rid of the skunk smell in the air.
- Spray a clean cloth with 2 Tbsp of Purodora Disinfectant and Animal Odor Neutralizer mixed with 4 cups of water.
- Hang the cloth over or in front of a portable fan.
- Run the fan for one hour in each room that smells of skunk.
How to get the skunk smell out of clothes and other fabrics
If the skunk smell has also made its way into fabrics (sofas, carpets, curtain, clothing, etc.), use Purodora Urine Odor Neutralizer. This odor neutralizer is safe for fabrics and will not stain them.
- Spray Purodora Urine Odor Neutralizer undiluted directly on the fabric surface.
- If the fabric is machine washable: Leave product on for 10 to 15 minutes then machine wash with regular detergent.
- If the fabric is NOT machine washable: Allow surface to air dry. No need to rinse.
What to do if Purodora Urine Odor Neutralizer leaves a dark ring on fabrics
Alcohol-based products like Purodora Urine Odor Neutralizer can leave a dark ring on some colored fabrics where the dye has not set properly. No need to worry! Simply rub the fabric with a damp cloth and the stain will immediately disappear.
Don’t get caught empty handed!
Home sweet-smelling home
It’s easy to panic when your home stinks of skunk. Fortunately, you now know exactly what to do! Just two safe and effective products, a little bit of elbow grease and your home will be smelling (and looking) like new again!